Terms of Service
Terms of Service
Acceptance of Terms
These Terms and Conditions of Service (the “Terms”) are a legal and binding agreement between you and Glimpse governing your use of this site www.glimpse.org (the “Site”).
Your use and browsing of the Site is at your risk. If you are dissatisfied with any of the materials contained in the Site, with the quality of service, or with these Terms, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue accessing and using the Site.
In order to utilize certain functionality of the Site, you must complete a registration process. As a registered user of the Site, you agree to (a) provide true, accurate, current, and complete information about yourself as prompted by the Site registration form (such information being the "Registration Data"), and (b) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current, and complete. Upon completing the registration process, you shall receive confirmation of a password and user name. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password and user name, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or user name. You agree to (a) immediately notify Glimpse of any unauthorized use of your password or user name or any other breach of security; (b) exit from your account at the end of each session; and (c) defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Glimpse from any loss or damage arising from unauthorized use of your password or user name.
By registering, you consent to the collection of your data, including, without limitation, Registration Data, by Glimpse and processing of such data by Glimpse in connection with your use of the Site. You consent to the technical processing and transmission involved in your use of the Site, including, without limitation, Registration Data, and you acknowledge that such a process may involve (a) transmission of such data over various networks; and (b) modifying such data to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
Intellectual Property Issues
The Site is owned by Glimpse. All of the content featured or displayed on the Site, including, but not limited to, still images, text, pictorial works, video images, still images of video, graphic designs, audio recordings, multimedia combinations, and computer programs, including web-based programs (“Content”) is owned or licensed by Glimpse.
Advertisements for third-party entities are not considered Content for the purposes of this Section. However, these advertisements are owned or licensed by their respective third-party entities and are subject to protections similar to those set forth in these Terms.
Pursuant to the copyright and trademark laws of the United States, you agree:
- That you may only download Content that Glimpse designates as offered for download to any single computer a single copy of any Content for personal and noncommercial use.
- To not reproduce, distribute, modify, re-post on another site (regardless of the server on which the Content is stored), or sell any Content without specific written authorization from Glimpse.
- To maintain any and all copyright or other proprietary notices embedded in or attached to any Content.
- To refrain from framing or mirroring any portion of the Site.
- For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in material you upload, comments you post, or other content you provide to the Site (“User Content”). By uploading User Content, you grant Glimpse (which includes its subsidiaries and licensees) the following rights: a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivatives of the User Content, in whole or in part, without further review or participation from you, in any medium now existing or subsequently developed, in editorial, commercial, promotional, and trade uses in connection with Glimpse Products. A Glimpse Product is defined as "a product of Glimpse, a corporate subsidiary, affiliate, joint venturer, or licensee of Glimpse, in any language, which is associated with a Glimpse trademark and over which Glimpse has "Editorial Control." For the purposes of this Agreement, "Editorial Control" means the right to review, consult regarding, formulate standards for, or to exercise a veto over the appearance, text, use, or promotion of the Glimpse Product. You also agree that Glimpse may make User Content available to users of the Site who may display and redistribute it in the same way that Glimpse makes all other Content available.
Pursuant to Title 17, United States Code, Section 512, notifications of claimed copyright infringement on the Site should be sent to our designated agent. If you believe that your work has been used in a way that may constitute copyright infringement, please provide Glimpse’s designated agent the following information:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Site;
- Your address, telephone number, and email address;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
- Glimpse’s designated agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on the Site is its Editor in Chief, Sarah Menkedick, who can be reached as follows:
By Mail: Sarah Menkedick
Editor in Chief, Glimpse
982 Green St. Suite C
San Francisco, CA 94113
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS CONTACT INFORMATION IS ONLY FOR REPORTING ALLEGED COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENTS. CONTACT INFORMATION FOR OTHER MATTERS IS PROVIDED ELSEWHERE ON THE SITE.
The Site and all material and information posted on it is provided to you “as is” without any warranties. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with use of the Site, including those risks associated with reliance on the accuracy, thoroughness, or utility of any Content.
Although Glimpse does not routinely monitor the postings to the Site, Glimpse reserves the right (but assumes no obligation) to delete, move, or edit any User Content that comes to its attention that Glimpse considers in its sole discretion to be unacceptable or inappropriate, whether for legal or other reasons. Conduct by any user that, at the sole discretion of Glimpse, restricts or inhibits any other user from using or enjoying the Site will not be permitted. Glimpse reserves the right to refuse access to the Site to any user for any reason, including, without limitation, a reasonable belief that the user in question has violated these Terms, any other operating rules or terms currently posted on the Site, or any of the copyright or trademark laws of the United States.
The Site may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other sites or resources. Because Glimpse has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that Glimpse is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that Glimpse shall not be responsible or liable for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused in connection with use of or reliance on any such linked content, goods, or services available on or through any such linked site or resource.
Glimpse wants to encourage an open exchange of information and ideas on the Site. You can expect the Site to include information and opinions from a variety of individuals and organizations other than Glimpse. Glimpse neither endorses nor guarantees the accuracy of any User Content. Glimpse cannot guarantee that inappropriate material will not be posted. Glimpse may review User Content from time to time and may take steps to remove inappropriate User Content that comes to its attention; however, it engages in no routine monitoring of the Site. There is no substitute for healthy skepticism and your own good judgment.
You agree to assume full and sole responsibility for any User Content you post to the Site, and you agree to:
- Abide by the Community at Glimpse Rules for Users (which are fully incorporated into these Terms);
- Post User Content that is relevant to and appropriate for the specific topic and designed to help people share information and supports Glimpse's mission of inspiring young people to care about the world and equipping them with the perspectives and tools they need to become world-ready citizens;
- Represent that you are the owner of the User Content, or are making your submission with express consent of the owner, that you have obtained all third party releases and permissions necessary for use of any User Content that you post, and nothing you post will infringe on the rights of others;
- Neither post nor transmit any unlawful, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, pornographic, harassing, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive User Content, or User Content that encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, violate any law, or any other User Content that infringes on the ability of others to enjoy the Site, or is otherwise inappropriate;
- Refrain from posting any personal information of your own such as your email address, phone number, address, etc., and refrain from soliciting personal information from any user.
- Neither post nor transmit through the Site any User Content that constitutes advertising or solicitation with respect to any product or service;
- Not post anonymously or impersonate any other person; and
- (a) Make no use that would interfere with or disrupt the Site or servers or networks connected to the Site, (b) make no User Content available (whether through upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise) that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment, and (c) neither circumvent nor disable any security or data-protection measures implemented by Glimpse.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE SITE IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, GLIMPSE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Glimpse; its affiliates and partners; and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, members, licensors, representatives, and third party providers to the Site from and against all losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, resulting from any violation of these Terms. Glimpse reserves the right to assume, at its sole expense, the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will fully cooperate with Glimpse in asserting any available defenses.
Any and all disputes, with the exception of copyright claims, arising out of, under or in connection with this Agreement, including without limitation, its validity, interpretation, performance, or breach, shall be settled by final and binding arbitration in Washington, D.C., pursuant to the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Judgment upon any award rendered may be entered in the highest court of the forum, state or federal, having jurisdiction. This agreement, its validity and effect, shall be interpreted under and governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, without regard to its conflict of laws provisions, and you agree that the arbitrators shall award all costs of arbitration, including reasonable attorneys’ fees plus legal rate-of-interest, to the successful party. Copyright claims shall be brought in the Federal court having jurisdiction. If you are an agent for or an employee of a non-U.S. company but operate in a place of business in the U.S. or its territories, you expressly agree that any dispute regarding this contract shall be adjudicated within the U.S. in the manner described here. If Glimpse is obligated to go to court, rather than arbitration, to enforce any of its rights, you agree to reimburse Glimpse for its respective legal fees, costs, and disbursements if Glimpse is successful.
These Terms and any other operating rules or terms currently posted on the Site constitute the entire agreement between Glimpse and the users of the Site, and supersede all previous written or oral agreements between the parties with respect to such subject matter. No action of Glimpse may be construed as a waiver of any part of these Terms. Should any of the above paragraphs be unenforceable, the other paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
Copyright © 2009 Glimpse, Inc. All rights reserved.